Travel & Tourism

Aim of the subject

Travel and tourism aims to help students understand the different elements which make up the tourism industry: customers, stakeholders, technology, destinations and host communities. Students will learn about the wider ethical, social and cultural dimensions of tourism, and they will understand its impact on the environment and the importance of sustainable development.

The course studied is the WJEC A level Travel and Tourism, which comprises both AS and A2 levels.

A wide variety of different teaching strategies are used to help students learn including educational visits to tourist attractions, guest speakers, video input, role plays and formal teaching. Students are required to research current issues affecting the industry using a range of sources; books, video internet and interviews to produce analytical assignments Students will be expected to present their work in a variety of methods including formal presentations, role plays and written assignments. Students will be expected to organise and deliver an appropriate Travel and Tourism event.

Travel and tourism can lead to a relevant degree such as Tourism Management, or Foundation Degree, or employment in the UK and overseas in retail and business travel, tour operations, attractions and airlines/airports. In addition, the specification provides a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for candidates who do not progress to further study in this subject.

Course Outline

Key Stage 5

Subject content at AS includes the nature and development of Travel and Tourism; the sectors of the Travel and Tourism industry and their interdependence; customer service skills; the importance of customer service and the duties, training and personal qualities of staff. AT A2 subject content covers the economic, environmental and socio-cultural impacts of tourism; agents of tourism development; responsible and sustainable tourism; and event management, including business planning, team building and decision making. Skills developed include research and communication skills; leadership; problem-solving; IT skills; presentation skills; teamwork; and the ability to work to deadlines.

This course is well suited to students who prefer assessment through coursework with 60% being based on internal assessment of portfolios. The remaining 40% is externally assessed through a 1½ hour written examination in the summer term for AS and a 2 hour written paper in the summer term for A2. The WJEC web site has a section devoted to the syllabus and past papers, with mark schemes.

For more information please contact:
Keith Somerville
ksomerville@ilfracombeacademy.org.uk

 

Content updated January 2017

 

 

X

The school will be closed to students on Thursday 19th and Friday 20th October and will reopen after half term in the new premises on Tuesday 31st October. Click here for full details and click here for floor plan of new school.

¤